Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Cooking on the Open Fire

A few weeks ago my brother and sister-in-law cooked lunch over an open fire pit. They were practicing for a cowboy cookout competition. I was glad to be a taste tester because their cooking was great.

I learned something about cowboy cooking

1. I am glad that today I have a stove. It took a long time to get coals started and add the ingredients. Yes they tasted great but daily I would get nothing done but 2 miles on a fire

2. In Oklahoma summer cooking would have killed me. The hot sun and then to stand next to a blazing fire is not an idea of romantic western life

3. Biscuits can burn easily and need lots of TLC. Brother worked hard at getting his biscuits to keep warm coals under them and then warm coals on top. He was turning them  a few times and rotating the lid to cook them evenly. In my electric stove I dump them in and go load the washing machine.

Do you have any other thoughts to cooking out doors. It was great food and an even better cobbler. I am glad I can throw something in the oven and get other things done while it cooks without worrying my fire is going out.

No comments:

Post a Comment