Saturday, December 27, 2014

Grandma Mary rolls



I had a request to share an old family recipe when I was asking a group for help on making yeast rise. Here is the recipe and the story I was told about the recipe by My husband's grandmother.  

She told me Pa taught her to cook and this was a recipe from home in Kansas. Pa was her father in law that lived with Mary and Grandpa on the farm that was bought right after the land run in the early 1900s.

Ingredients

2 cups of milk
1/4 cup Luke water
3-4 Tbs vegetable oil
3-4 Tbs sugar
1/4 ts of salt
1 package of Fleshmans yeast
Flour


 Scald milk. (Heat milk to a simmer and then bring to Luke warm). Mary said that she did not think it needed this anymore but when Pa taught her with fresh milk it was necessary.

 While the milk heats up put yeast in very warm but not boiling water. This was to make sure your yeast was good.

When the milk cools. Mary taught me to check it like a baby bottle style by dropping a few drops on your wrist. Add the vegetable oil, sugar, salt, and yeast water. Wait a minute to make sure it activates.

Start adding flour by the tablespoon until it is the consistency of white gravy. Let rise to twice as tall.  Around here that is about an hour. (The fb group told me to heat the oven to 200 degrees and turn oven off. Then put a pan of water in the oven with the bowl of doe)

After it rose, add flour till very stiff. Where you can't stir it. Barely Oil it to be glistening.
At this point you can put it in the ice box with a cover til morning or continue on.

Let it rise for 1-2 hours. It should be double the size.

Knead the dough about 20 times in flour. Make into rolls and dip tops in oil. Put on a pan about 2 inches apart. Let rise to 2.5 times bigger than started.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12-20 minutes until lightly brown. 

This is a recipe that my husband insisted I learn to make. I enjoyed learning to make it and still treasure the time I get to spend making rolls with her. 


No comments:

Post a Comment