Saturday, March 2, 2013

Sketchbooks, an Artist Brain

While the snow came down the other day I wondered about what should be the next important thing to tell you. I mean art is a variety of styles, techniques, medias and all that jazz. Then it hit me as I wrote in my sketchbook.  The sketchbook. This is the most important thing that I know almost all artist have. Many, including me, would save their sketchbooks first from a burning building. This is where my life goes and I thought I would share some tips on what I like and don't like on sketchbooks.

Tip 1: Sketchbooks are private. This is not where you do your best work. It is not what you show off to everyone. Yes, I show my to my students as examples but they do not read them. They see how I work. This is time to practice drawing, work on shading or finding the right value for something. Use it for jotting down ideas, or feelings about art, life, and anything else that blows through your door.
  I do not have time or talent to keep up with a journal for my life, one for church and one for art. My sketchbook is like Leonardo Di Vinci. If you read his, it contains everything from his grocery list to inventions to art.

Tip 2: Pick a size.  This takes time to perfect but a sketchbook for me should be small enough to take everywhere but big enough to have space to draw in. I do take my almost everywhere. A 9 by 12 inch is what I like best. It gives me enough room to draw and it is slightly bulky to carry round but it works. I have worked in a 12 by 14 and a 8 by 5.5 ( I use the latter to teach with for the students). Experiment and find your own perfect size.

Tip 3 You can make your own. I have made many sketchbooks in the past just because I did not find what I liked. There is lots of sites for binding a sketchbooks. Look on youtube.com for cool demonstrations. A three ring binder will work or use the rings that clip together and add paper.

Tip 4 Realize your sketchbook style will evolve as you work. In one sketchbook my has changed many times. Let this happen. This is the place to play just like a kindergartner.

Well hope you start freeing your self up for some fun.
 Also Here is my links.

FACEBOOK page


Ebay Auction

No comments:

Post a Comment