Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sketching for different medias

Preparing for a painting is almost as much fun as the painting. I enjoy drawing just as much as I enjoy painting. My lab does not agree. As you can tell she would rather us be running or something than setting drawing. The old girls only 7 but she is graying.

I have learned alot about sketching and hope this helps you not have to take the time it took me to learn this. Depending on what media you use to paint depends on how you sketch. This has taken a few years for me to figure out. I hope I can short cut it for you.

The sketch above is a thumb nail sketch. Mostly because they are not much bigger than your thumbnail. I work about the size as the palm of my hand. Draw me a square and work on composition; Not much else. These are quick and I work alot on these when I am talking on the phone or while I listen to my preacher give a sermon. Sorry folks but I can not sit anywhere still. If I doodle than I absorb what is being said.
I love drawing in line work or tonal (smooth) shading. When I worked in acrylic or oils it works for me. Since you can add white to find your light values and add black to find you dark. Than this worked. Drawing like this and working in watercolors was frustrating.
It is a little blurry but it will tell you how to draw for watercolor painting. I came across a book by Laurie Humble. That talked about drawing you lines that outlined the light areas and dark areas. This made more information on the board about where to leave white showing though. It works well. You will notice that the tank on the front has a drip area for some dark rust on the lightened paint. The tires show the dark area and what sticks up for the light. I take this sketch and graphite transfer it to the aquabord. It works great.

No comments:

Post a Comment