Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Driving

If you have went to my website you can see I have been raised on a farm. We did all kinds
of normal farm stuff. Drove trucks, learned to shoot, played in the pond and drove tractors.

This week while my husband harvested wheat, I spent my time in the big 8 wheel drive tractor with a 28 foot disc. Tractor_man plows around the edge and I work in the middle. No biggie right. A farm girl is supposed to do this. Right?


Let me give you some history. At 16 I hated driving. Dad rebuilt an amazing 1992 Thunderbird for me and him and my younger brother said it could fly. I was one that did not drive it THAT fast. I totaled it by hitting a Toyota. Moving the engine 3 inches to the passenger side.

Six months later I toke the front in off a Pre SE. Both were from a stop and both were my fault. I am not a good driver.

Three years later I had an amazing English teacher in college that had me tested for dyslexia. She would not let me pass my last class if I was not tested. I found out I had Irlene Syndrome.

Walking out of the testing center with the new dark lenses on I exclaimed "Mom the porch really juts out in front of the building over there" Mom almost fainted. I did not know about depth and she did not know I could not see depth. Still don't well.

As years went on I found out the glasses made my astigmatism worse and tried doing eye exercises. My normal eye doctor who had seen me since junior high made the comment that I never complained about poor grades. My response was he never asked how long I worked on homework either.

Today I have a little better depth perception but not much. I look at shadows and measure things compared to other objects for depth. I still flip letters and jumble words when I right. I have learned to compensate by writing in my hours that I can concentrate and when all else fails tell it to a computer.



So Stick me in a tractor with a disc, it is on your head if we have to fix fence. This time... No fences were lost in this pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment