Friday, July 25, 2014

Cutting Hay

Being a farmer's wife I had planned after a long day in the City to go and make supper, play with my girl and rest. I even promised a swim in hr grandma's pool before we went home. Then my phone rings, Tractorman asked if I could help him cut hay while he raked hay so that we could get it baled before the rain next week.

I took my girl for a swim and her grandma offered to keep her all night so she did not have to ride in the tractor that long. Out to the Bermuda pasture I went. Tractorman took me one round and gave me the instructions on how to turn this corner and watch out for branches.


Well with the tractor to my self and the radio on I love the time alone. As all mom's know that is rare. I had made about four rounds with the 16 foot swather out to one side. Read about driving the tractor to understand my challenge with this. I look back to see the bar in front of the swather broken and bouncing like a kid on a trampoline behind me. I shut the whole thing down and make my favorite kind of phone call. "Honey I broke it" is how that call starts. He had went to get the rakes about a mile away. "Meet me at the front gate" he told me after I detailed my mess. 



For the most part he is good about fixing my breaks I just get to hear (teasingly) about them forever. When he saw my mess he told  me that it was the same spot I used to hit the back of his 1 ton truck with flat bed with. I dented the bar into the reel and cracked his rear brake light. I still don't live that one down.

Well with a few welds I was back on the go again and finished the patch at midnight. The thing I like about field work is once done than I have a few months unlike dishes which have to be done nightly. Ever feel like everything you try to help with breaks? Please comment and tell me I am not the only one.

Oh I started a Etsy Page. Check it out and Tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment