Friday, May 10, 2013

Painting the Filling Station

            My daughter asked me this morning why I had to leave and not play. I told her I had to earn money to pay for food, water, clothes and toys. She looked at me and said I can go naked I not need clothes.




       We did have a hard night trying to get hay rolled up before the rain came. Hay is one of those things that once in a bail or standing in the field it can handle a rain but cut down and laying out. Water washes some of the goodies away. It did lead to some awesome pictures and some well needed water.

     Well since farming came first, I did not get far on the filling station. Here is what I know, which isn't much. Back in the '50s communities were about 10 miles apart. They were small townships with gas station, one room school, and church. Some had more, some had less. They dried up during my parents generation but many of the buildings dot the Oklahoma landscape. Even if the buildings are not there the older generations still call them by the township name. Poker Flats, Oscar Store, Cox's Corner, Pumpkin Center, and so many more. This is Shriver's store, I know because I had to ask someone older than me. It sits on Highway 65, North of Highway 7 and 65 junction about 4 miles. It sits where the road curves. The building and the fixing station, a church, a volunteer fire department is still there.



No comments:

Post a Comment